Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Man in Black

"I wear the black for the poor and beaten down." - Johnny Cash

I am on an Americana music kick lately, and this morning as I was brushing my teeth, I heard Johnny Cash's song, "Man in Black." I am not sure I ever heard the song before. I'm sure I have; but I don't think I ever HEARD the song before. It's a wonderful protest song, and though it was written and recorded in 1971, I think it's a tribute to our times.

Here he is performing it for the first time at Vanderbilt University.



This afternoon, I heard that many Democratic Members of Congress planned to wear black at the State of the Union Address as a form of protest and in solidarity with the MeToo movement.

Kismet!

Embed from Getty Images

I got to thinking about protest songs. There were so many during the Vietnam Era; they practically defined rock music of the day. I hadn't heard too many this past year. I looked for some contemporary protest songs. I listened to a bunch, and here are some of my favorites.


The song that defined the 2017 Women's March, "I Can't Keep Quiet"




Mac McCaughan, "Happy New Year (Prince Can't Die Again)"

;


Fiona Apple, "Tiny Hands"




Arcade Fire, "I Give You Power"




Go, Eminem!




Joan Baez, Crusader of Justice since 1959, strikes again.




And my favorite patriotic song done a new way. Chicano Batman, "This Land is Your Land"


No comments:

Post a Comment