Sunday, July 1, 2018

"Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life."

"Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life." Sophocles

I joined my friend Lindsey, with whom I started my career in protests at the 2016 Women's March, and participated in the nationwide protest, Families Belong Together, calling for immigrant families to be reunited and kept together, calling for all of us to rethink immigration in general, calling out the Nation's racist roots, calling on white people to use their white privilege to help, and calling for action. It is encouraging and gives me hope that so many good people are out there, protesting, working, and resisting.

There were at least 1500 in De la Guerra Plaza yesterday. There were many inspirational speakers. And we marched in the streets.

We learned that words matter. We learned that immigrant children are at risk for horrors when they finally make it to the US and are captured. We learned that there are plenty of networks of helpers, ready to give legal aid to those in need. We learned that our white privilege should be wielded to support and advocate. We heard from immigrants who are truly grateful for the opportunities in our Land, and who still appreciate being in the US, despite being "scared shitless."

There was one moment that was wonderful to me in the sense that it affirmed to me that concerned citizens on the Left have reason and independent thought. When a speaker was describing some inflammatory, graphic, and shocking things about unspeakable horrors that some children face, people called out, "What are your sources?" I just don't see those kinds of shouts at a White Supremacy rally, for example.

And we made our voices heard.

My sister resister Lindsey and me




The dress I chose is symbolic. My daughter and I bought matching dresses. I wore mine, as I can't imagine the unspeakable anguish those mothers are experiencing.

The speaker's sign is made of wire and it reads, "Don't cage our children"






Surprisingly, there wasn't much coverage of the march in local media. At least, not yet. Noozhawk had an article. The Los Angeles Times outlined the marches in LA and across the Nation. Interestingly, the local TV news did stories on Santa Maria and Ventura, but nothing about our march. And, predictably, the local rag, The Santa Barbara News-Suppress (ok, its real name is News-Press), the only paper in the Nation to endorse the Fascist Cheeto, ignored the story as well.

UPDATE: Adding local media coverage.

Santa Barbara Independent
edhat
Noozhawk

After the March,  I came home and donated to causes that are helping during our immigration crisis. And you should too. Find a charitable organization here. Or here. Or here.

And if you don't have money to spare, Volunteer. Call your Members of Congress. Protest. RESIST!


No comments:

Post a Comment