Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Another Patriot Hero: Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman

Just a quickie about today's testimony. I was able to really only watch the morning testimony with Jennifer Williams and Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman. I listened in a little bit to Morrison's and Volker's testimony in the afternoon.

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman: American hero.

His opening statement gave me chills, and I was crying by the end. Here is his opening statement. Transcript here.




He was nervous but resolute, and what he said at the end brought all kinds of patriotic feelz up to spill over. I'm heartened and encouraged by the patriots who are stepping up and telling the truth, even at personal peril.

It was shameful for the GOP to try to call his loyalties into question. Here is an impeccable American, purple heart recipient, who bravely appears before the nation to tell the truth. Stephen Castor, keep your slimy smear attempts to yourself.

This man is the quintessential American story. He and his family came as immigrants from the Soviet Union, he rose through the military ranks, and then rose through the ranks of the foreign service, finally joining the National Security Council and is a senior advisor. He deeply loves the United States and takes seriously his oath to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Mr. Castor, and the rest of you GOP maligners, when you have gone to battle, led troops, taken shrapnel from an IED, and rose through the ranks of the National Security Council with honor, then come back and talk.

Lt. Col. Vindman described the July 25 phone call and his concerns about the "demands" that 45 made upon Ukraine president Zelensky. He and Ms. Williams painted a crystal clear picture of the extortion attempt and the potential repercussions that withholding aid had to our national security. The facts are plain: it's really an open-and-shut case.

The stronger the witness, the more shameful the attack from the Repugs. But fierce American warrior that he is, Vindman was able to hold strong.

His words:
I also recognize that my simple act of appearing here today, just like the courage of my colleagues who have also truthfully testified before this Committee, would not be tolerated in many places around the world. In Russia, my act of expressing my concerns to the chain of command in an official and private channel would have severe personal and professional repercussions and offering public testimony involving the President would surely cost me my life. I am grateful for my father’s brave act of hope 40 years ago and for the privilege of being an American citizen and public servant, where I can live free of fear for mine and my family’s safety.
Dad, my sitting here today, in the US Capitol talking to our elected officials is proof that you made the right decision forty years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America in search of a better life for our family.
Do not worry, I will be fine for telling the truth.

At the end of his testimony, he reminded us all that, "This is America. And here, right matters."

Thank you for your truthfulness and your service to a grateful nation, Lt. Col. Vindman!



Stephen Colbert shares more:




No comments:

Post a Comment