Monday, November 16, 2020

A COVID TALE

Dan Wasserman


While we've been distracted by the election the past couple weeks, over 1,653,000 more Americans have contracted COVID-19, and over 14,000 more Americans have died. There has been a huge surge in infections this month, and governors from coast to coast are implementing more restrictions and mask mandates.

Of all the crimes that 45 has committed over the last four years, the crime of ignoring a public health crisis for the benefit of political standing has got to be the more heinous. 

It's Job #1 of any president to ensure the health and welfare of the country's citizens. This "president" had a direct hand in the death of over 246,000 Americans. He knew! He knew from the start that the virus was airborne, extremely contagious, and deadly. Yet he did nothing. Worse than nothing. He lied about it. He purposefully lied about it; by his own admission he downplayed the virus at the direct peril of millions of American citizens. 

The orange shitstain made the conscious choice to personally spread the disease. He flaunted mask wearing and social distancing as he hosted superspreader events. He outright mocked people wearing them in crowds right before the election! In a recent Stanford study, it was estimated that his rallies and events directly caused around 30,000 people to become ill and upwards of 700 Americans to die. Of course, that's just his rallies. By his actions and inactions throughout the last nine months, it's estimated that of the deaths so far, up to 210,000 of them could have been avoided by stronger leadership and quicker action. To my mind, that makes Hair Twitler a mass murderer. 

One of my very best friends and fellow sister resister recently became ill with the Coronavirus. She is one of the 11,463,782 reported cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. But believe me, she's not just a statistic. She is a wonderful, warm, productive, giving American. She is a sister, a daughter, a mother, a grandmother, a friend, a mentor, a giver, a healer, a teacher, a lover. She is just like you. She contracted COVID. And she wants to share her story. Her story may be the story of someone you love. 

Today, a Q & A.


Q: What was your COVID experience, in a nutshell?

A: It was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. Not only from being more sick than I'd ever been before, but from the reality standpoint of being a functional leper without a colony! I literally had no place to go and was getting sicker every day. 

After about two weeks of the onset of milder symptoms (a bad cough, aches, burning eyes and fever), I woke up early one morning at home struggling to breathe. I was having trouble walking and judging distances. A chest X-ray the prior week showed that I had pneumonia along with the Coronavirus. I called a good friend nearby with COPD; he brought me an oximeter to measure my oxygen saturation. It was scary low, ranging from 61-66% (it should be 90-100%), and my resting heart rate was between 99-121 beats per minute (normal is less than 100). My friend immediately went home and returned with an oxygen tank. It was obvious I needed urgent medical attention, but I had to drive myself three hours to the hospital (It's not like anyone could take me!). While I stabilized myself with oxygen, he went to fill up a portable oxygen tank in case breathing became a problem again on the road.

I fell through the cracks of the system a lot and had to handle many things myself without the stamina to do it properly. I knew there was a medical sheltering option, a quarantine program ("Covid Motel") offered in many areas, and I hoped to recuperate for 10 days there before going home. My home is rustic and cold. Normally this isn't a problem, but it was not allowing my lungs to heal. 

I found testing to be insufficient in the hospital - they released me after a rapid test showed a false negative. Before leaving, I insisted on a throat swab test, which was not rushed (and therefore in my opinion, more reliable). 

I knew I was still positive from more comprehensive tests a week earlier (lung X-ray, throat and nose swab). It was too late to drive three hours back home, and I didn't have the option to stay with my family in Los Angeles because of contamination concerns. I had no choice but to get a motel room for the night. I sanitized everything before I left. I hope it was enough. 

The next day, after I checked out out of the motel, I was still feeling very sick. I was exhausted and I had run out of food and water – I didn't think it was safe to go inside a store. I parked my car at a rest area, sleeping and wondering what to do and where to go. I couldn't risk infecting anyone; I felt paralyzed. Finally, the hospital called me, told me the throat swab test was positive, and asked me to return. 

They kept me overnight, monitored my symptoms, and arranged for me to be accepted into the Medical Sheltering Program. A doctor has to make the referral. 

This temporary quarantine program, using government-leased motels and hotels, is provided in order to prevent the spread of the virus. It includes people who can't quarantine safely at home due to shared bathrooms or other people in the home who are high risk. I had hoped to be there 10 days, but was able to receive only four days. The quarantine program is offered for 10 days - from the onset of symptoms. (They must have counted from my first positive test results the week before.)

After my stay at the "Covid Motel," I was still feeling very sick and felt like I couldn't drive the three hours back home. I literally had nowhere to go. Unbeknownst to me, family and friends arranged for me to be in a timeshare resort for 12 days to recuperate. I wasn't supposed to be there! This is what I mean by saying people like me have few options and honesty isn't one of them. (At check-in: "Have you been sick in the last 14 days?" Me, without blinking: "No.") I stayed in my room or outside on the patio and sanitized everything I touched before leaving. I had stayed there before, recently, so I knew the cleaning crew wore gloves and masks. Again, I hope it was enough. Then I returned home. 


Q: What has been the most difficult thing about all of this?

A: Being a walking germ, a deadly hazard to others. I couldn't see my friends and family; I couldn't go to the store; I couldn't even pet the neighborhood dogs who come to visit me everyday. My friends and family felt helpless. It was tough on everyone who loves me. It was probably the most difficult for my mom, who couldn't mother me in person. Family and friends were calling and texting out of concern. As much as I appreciated it, I didn't have the energy to respond. So my sister sent out text updates to family and friends while I was the most ill. After that, the people who texted me said loving things like, "I know you're too weak to respond now but I want you to know I'm thinking about you, I'm concerned and I feel helpless. Don't answer until you feel better." 


Q: What kind of treatment did you receive? 

A: Prior to the hospital admission, I was on a high dose of azithrimyacin for two weeks (to treat both pneumonia and COVID). I was also on Ivermectin for about a week. Ivermectin is usually used for parasites but has anecdotally shown to be helpful treating COVID. This treatment was from a local doctor friend. I truly received the best, most consistent care from him throughout the entire experience, both in person or via text, compared to everyone else.

At the hospital, they ran a lot of tests including a rapid test, chest X-ray and blood work. The doctor suggested I stop the azithrimyacin and switch to another antibiotic but I preferred to follow the advice of my own doctor, plus I did not want to go to a pharmacy to fill it and risk spreading the virus to others.

After I left the hospital, I continued the protocol from my doctor plus a steady diet of Tylenol to keep fever down and help minimize body aches. The next three months I need to rest a lot and take 1000 mg of Vitamin C daily. And I'm drinking tea made from fresh ginger and turmeric daily to help with the inflammation.


Q: Having experienced this for more than six weeks, what are the most important things you want people to know?

A: Several things.

How to take a test properly. With all the information out there, hardly anyone knows the best way to prepare for a COVID test. You need to allow the natural fluids in the head and throat to build up for two hours. This means no food or fluids, no brushing teeth, no chewing gum, etc. Hospitals and testing centers don't tell you this. My doctor told me this.

Learn in advance about testing. Ask what kind of test you are taking and how it is processed. How many people know that the rapid tests are only 50-70% accurate? It's the false negatives we need to worry about the most! When I went to the hospital the first time, I was given a rapid test (nose swab) that showed a false negative. The most accurate way to test is both a nose test and throat swab - not rapid tested.

Repeat infections. It is under-reported and undocumented how many people get COVID more than once. When this began last winter, there were not many tests available yet. We were told not to be tested unless gravely ill. I believe I contracted Coronavirus in early April, but I wasn't tested. I know many other people who believe they had it also; they weren't tested either. There is no way to be certain how many people have been infected. This means that the overall pandemic statistics quoted are actually much higher. 

COVID-19 is a big deal. There is a reason it's called a pandemic. It is a convenient myth, perpetuated by the president* (who turned COVID into a reality show "success story" following his own illness: "COVID Ain't No Big Thang!") that people only feel ill for a few days. It varies widely ranging from a few days to months. It's worth mentioning that the president was very ill and received drugs not available to most that turbocharged his recovery time.

There is also post-viral syndrome. A short list of symptoms include long-term respiratory issues, inflammation, ongoing loss of taste and smell, chronic fatigue, body aches, fever, hair loss, fibromyalgia, vision issues and more. It's still unknown how long the post-viral syndrome lasts, this is so new. I belong to several Facebook groups where many people note their primary care doctors are not taking Post-COVID Syndrome seriously, minimizing their patients concerns and implying it may be psychological issues. The fact is, this virus is still new. There is a lot we don't know yet.

Quarantine time. My personal doctor told me quarantine should only be lifted after 30 days and two negative tests. This is twice as long as what we are told in the media, and also double what the medical professionals in the hospital told me. Moreover, my doctor advised me to only re-test for the virus until three or four days passed without a fever and not using a fever-reducer. I was still taking Tylenol and followed my intuition instead of my doctor's advice. I tested twice within 7 days and passed.


 Q: What are your physical symptoms, then and now?

A: My initial symptoms were fatigue, lungs feeling "cold," cough, fever, body aches, burning eyes and inflammation. I found myself whimpering involuntarily. A lot. I couldn't talk on the phone for a week due to constant coughing. I was in bed most of the time, unable to do basic things (both physically and due to the quarantine), such as take my laundry out to be cleaned, so I was wearing dirty clothes and sleeping in dirty sheets.

Now, more than six weeks later? I've passed two COVID tests (taken a week apart), and have been out of quarantine several days. It's wonderful to be a free agent again! The pneumonia is long gone. My cough lingers a bit still and is mostly triggered by cold air. I haven't had a fever in five days but am still taking Tylenol daily as a fever-reducer and for pain. My inflammation is still pretty bad and the exhaustion is off the hook. I still can't do very much without symptoms flaring up. It is my body telling me to slow down and rest more.


Q: What has been the most difficult part of this experience?

A: During those six weeks it was not knowing when this would be over! Not being able to be self-sufficient but at the same time having to do things myself, even with profound weakness. It was frustrating that no one could be near me without putting themselves in jeopardy. 

Also, because there are still so many unknowns about this disease, there was a real lack of information and guidance. My symptoms were more severe than some who stay home with cold and flu symptoms, but not severe enough for hospitalization. Information was given by several people following up on a positive test result with a phone call; none of them were in a position to advocate for me in a meaningful way. Their job was to tell me how to safely quarantine, which I knew already and had been doing for two weeks prior to going to the hospital.


Q: You've been basically all alone for six weeks. How has that been for you? 

A: I thought the isolation itself would be tough but it really wasn't. I was too sick to care. I slept at least 14 hours a day. Not having the basics we take for granted when we are healthy (going to the store, necessary errands, visiting friends, etc.) was difficult. 


Q: What kind of emotions arose for you all along?

A: Many things seemed impossible, things that are normally easy for a healthy person to do. It was hard to prepare a meal and wash dishes, etc. I found myself struggling to regulate my emotions which ranged from self-pity to outright rage after I sought medical treatment in the hospital and was released after the false negative result. When I finally was accepted in the quarantine hotel program I was lodged in a 4-star hotel - The Crowne Plaza. Yet it took 20 hours and four requests for an extra blanket when the AC was stuck on and my warm clothes were out for laundry service. (Even a 1-star fleabag hotel will provide a second blanket.) The cold air increased my cough and my fever spiked again. I left the hotel feeling worse than when I checked in. As my symptoms reduced in intensity over the following weeks, it became easier to return to my more optimistic self.


Q: Have there been any positives in this experience?

A: So many! Mostly it was how my family and friends rallied around me, helping in any way they could from afar. The day I was in crisis, needing medical attention urgently, everyone jumped in to help. In addition to the aforementioned friend who brought me oxygen, another friend researched healthcare options in advance of my long drive. A bilingual friend helped with translating medical advice in one tricky situation. Another friend made advance phone calls to pave my way through challenges. Yet another friend raised money so I don't have to worry about rent for awhile as I recuperate. My sister sent out daily text updates to about 20 people so I could conserve energy. Local friends dropped off food and staples. And all along my doctor friend provided free medical care, checking in on me several times a day.

I'm a strong, independent person, and it was hard for me to accept help. At the same time, help was badly needed. Sometimes it takes a crisis to bring out the best in people and it has been truly humbling to see how many people care for me.

I think the other positive is to be able to tell my story here. To raise awareness. People like me are under-represented. While roughly 80% of infected people aren't very sick and not for very long, and many are sick enough to be in the hospital and maybe die, the remaining 20% are people like me. Sick longer, needing help and support longer, and perhaps without social support or other resources.


Q: What was your experience with your medical insurance?

A: Enrolling in Medi-Cal/Covered California was done for me at the hospital. I really appreciated that. I also learned from Little Sister Resister that federal coverage through the CARES Act is available to any American with COVID-19.


Q: What resources did you have for your recovery while you had to be isolated? What did you wish you had? 

A: The program at the quarantine hotel was run by a staffing agency. There was COVID-dedicated staff available 24/7. There was one nurse from 7am to 11:30 pm for about 100 patients. The nurse would call every morning to ask for and record my temperature. If I needed Tylenol to control my fever they brought each dose. If I wanted a cough drop, they were dispensed one at a time.Three meals a day were left outside the door and laundry service was twice a week.

I wish medicine (Tylenol and cough drops) had been dispensed more generously, say six doses at a time. I didn't want to make the nurse come to my room three times a day so I wasn't properly dosed. I wish the Crowne Plaza Hotel had moved me to another room when the AC was stuck on but they refused. No one, including maintenance staff and the nurses, were allowed in patients rooms for obvious reasons. 


Q: Do you have any idea where/when you were exposed?

A: Not really. I was likely exposed in Los Angeles (basically Covid Land) visiting family 10 days before onset of symptoms. I was wearing masks in stores and using hand sanitizer (the latter not as often I should have). My mother and uncle share a home, are in their 80s and live next door to my sister. We fastidiously practiced social distancing with masks and sanitizer in the conjoined back yard.

I'm high risk - very prone to respiratory issues and catch pneumonia and bronchitis all too often. For someone like me? With two parents with terminal lung diseases? I probably caught this by breathing air. Masks notwithstanding.


Q: Were you contacted regarding contact tracing?

A: Never. Not at the hospital, not at the quarantine hotel, and not by any of the people from the state who called to make sure I knew how to quarantine properly.


Q: What were the testing protocols afterwards?

A: None. The hotel quarantine program keeps patients there a maximum 10 days and releases without testing again. No one followed up to recommend another test. I arranged my two follow-up tests myself.


Mike Luckovich

Q: What are your takeaways?

A: We need our leaders to take this pandemic seriously. We need a president who has a plan rather than minimizing or outright lying to the American people and the world.

We need to have more options for people not sick enough to be in the hospital but still needing medical monitoring to be safely quarantined. I think quarantine hotel options must include factors like age, length of illness, only be released after fever is normal and after they have passed one COVID test. If people are released too early, they are at risk for infecting others. I'm very grateful that none of the people I was around earlier in the day I developed symptoms became sick. That would be hard for me to live with.

There was great news about two vaccines coming soon, but we won't know how truly effective they will be until they roll out to the general population. In the meantime, it's going to be a long, dark winter. The virus is surging badly. Continue your social distancing. Wear a mask when you go out. Sanitize your hands often. Don't go out when you are feeling sick! We need to keep up the protocols, folks, no matter how much of a drag it is. You just don't know how this will affect the next person, or if the resources they have will be enough.You do not want to end up like me. 

1 comment:

  1. ....aaaaand, here we are again three years later! Infected again. I don't like some of my writing style (there's one embarrassing redundancy making me twitch). My views on the vaccine have morphed somewhat, and reading this again is helping me realize I'm not as sick this time, I'm simply panicking because this is the third time I've had this goddam plague, and I'm three years older now.

    My anger is spiked again watching Cheeto McFuckface lie to the people about the severity of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete