Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Day N of the Attempted Coup

Up til today, it had been a bloodless coup attempt. That changed today.

Let's make this clear. We must use the right words for the events of January 6.

An attempted coup. Incursion. Insurrection. Anarchy. Riot. Uprising. Not a "protest" or a "march."

Terrorists. Rioters. Insurgents. Thugs. Subversives. Not "Trump supporters" or "protestors."

This was an attack on the very heart and soul of our Democratic Republic. This was an attack on the very lives of our American citizens. One woman died. Others were injured. Bombs were placed.

Today's events in Washington, D.C. evoked a multitude of emotions, and it's hard to process it all. Words are wholly inadequate to convey what I felt today, but being the wordsmith I am, I will try. 

Disgust. Sadness. Anger. Disbelief. Nausea. Heartbreak. Fear. 


I didn't plan it this way, but I was off work, so being the political geek I am, I was tuned in to the dumb "debate" regarding the objections to the tally of the Electoral College vote, the final certification of Joe Biden's win. I had just listened to Mitch McConnell's speech that he should've given years ago. He actually showed some backbone and patriotism for once. 

Then suddenly there was a flurry of activity in the chambers. Reporters spotted Capitol police. Vice President Pence was hustled out of the chambers. Reporters in the gallery told us that they had been told to prepare to leave their area and go to the chamber, where they would be locked in. He said they were being told to stay away from windows and doors. 

What the....?

Talking heads assured viewers that the Capitol is the safest place around and there are big heavy doors and plenty of security. 

Split screens had shown TRUMP addressing his "rally" as well as their march toward the Capitol building. The network I was watching didn't broadcast his remarks. Later I found out he had said, "We’re going walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators, and congressmen and women. We’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong."

The split screens continued to show his mob advance on the building, climbing the stairs. There were reports of police holding them back with pepper spray. Then all hell broke loose.

Suddenly the Senate chambers were all in a flurry, an adjournment was abruptly called, and the chambers cameras went black. Every one within evacuated to the secure bunkers that are part of the infrastructure of the Capitol complex.

Cameras focused on what was happening outside as well as inside, and there are images and emotions that will never leave me.

I felt devastation when I heard a woman had been shot in the chest and was absolute bereft when I saw glimpses of blood-soaked stretcher rushing by.

I felt angry and assaulted when I saw thugs menacing and taunting a Capitol Police officer as he retreated up the stairs.

I felt fear and disbelief when I saw rioters breaking glass windows of the U.S. Capitol building and climbing through.

I felt horrified when I saw members of Congress, fear crossing their faces, huddled on the ground, donning gas masks. 

I felt a fire of rage when I saw a terrorist grinning as he sat in the chair that moments before our Vice President had sat, overseeing the proceedings as dictated by the United States Constitution. 

I felt a screaming fury seeing extremists wander the chambers of OUR HOUSE. I yelled at the TV: "You're going to jail. And you're going to jail. And you! And you! And you!"

I felt violated when I saw a mobster with his feet on Speaker Pelosi's desk. I felt a chill when I saw a message scrawled on a folder: "We will not back down." 

I felt nauseated seeing the confederate flag within the hallowed halls of the Capitol.

I felt confused when I wondered how "the safest building in Washington" was able to be breached so easily. 
 
I felt disgust when I watched the actions and inactions from the one who threw the match. Like the international evil villain of a movie plot, 45 sat back and watched what he had put into place. He set the mob on their way and retreated to the Whitewash House to watch the destruction on TV. He issued a couple of tepid tweets before sending out a wink and a smile as he lied some more and told his people in a video, "I love you, go home." He said: 
I know your pain, I know you're hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side. But you have to go home now. We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. We have to respect our great people in law and order. We don't want anybody hurt.

It's a very tough period of time. There's never been a time like this where such a thing happened where they could take it away from all of us — from me, from you, from our country. This was a fraudulent election, but we can't play into the hands of these people. We have to have peace. So go home. We love you. You're very special. You've seen what happens. You see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil.

I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.

I feel shame that the rest of the world sees that this is what we are.

I felt dismay hearing both officials and journalists who have seen the worst of the world's strife compare this to what they have seen in banana republics.

I felt shock that this last attack on the U.S. Capitol was compared to the last one, the one during the War of 1812. 

I feel worry about what is to come in the next two weeks. I feel the fervent hope that Vice President Pence will finally invoke the 25th Amendment and stop this madman from doing more damage. 
 
And then as evening came, I had glimpse of other emotions. I've also felt heartened. Relieved. Patriotic. Optimistic.

I felt relieved when social media platforms blocked SCROTUS's accounts and removed his video.

I felt heartened when Sen. Tammy Duckworth spoke clearly when she said that Congress will not be bullied and forcefully said, "We will start up again. Today." 

I felt encouraged when the Congress dusted themselves off and got back to work, just hours after the crisis. I felt relieved when Sen. Kelly Loeffler showed some integrity and voiced her decision to reverse her decision to object to the certification. 

I felt patriotic when storied lawmakers sang the praises of the best of America in their late evening session. The thugs did not win.

I felt optimistic when I heard many cabinet members are considering resigning and that there is chatter of invoking the 25th Amendment.

I feel resolved that the American people will come together and get through this crisis and come out stronger.





No comments:

Post a Comment