Sunday, February 19, 2017

We will resist. We will persist.

“To the wrongs that need resistance, To the right that needs assistance, To the future in the distance, Give yourselves" -- Carrie Chapman Catt

On Saturday I took part in the "United We Stand" President's Day rally and march in downtown Santa Barbara.

It was inspirational!  The speakers were wonderful, from Susan Epstein on the Goleta School Board, to Mayor Helene Schnieder, city council member Cathy Murillo, Assembly member Monique Limón, State Senator Hannah Beth Jackson, on up to Congressman Salud Carbajal.  

Hannah Beth Jackson was especially inspirational, and reminded us that not only is California the leader in the resistance, we in Santa Barbara County are strong to lead the way to resist and persist.  She got us fired up, and I got all verklempt when she recited the words at the base of the Statue of Liberty.  

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
California State Snator Hannah Beth Jackson



Congressman Salud Carbajal

I am happy to feel well-represented in all levels of Government! I know that they have Progressive Minds and will work hard in the Resistance.  It's a realllly good feeling, and lets me focus on other actions, knowing that our government officials are truly leaders. They are leading the Resistance.

After our leaders spoke, we marched!  We marched up State Street for a few blocks, then back down Anacapa to De La Guerra Plaza.  Our fine police department was on hand to made sure streets were safe for us and watched over our peaceful demonstration. I took the sign that I used at the Women's March. I was happy to march with my friends J and E. Thanks to E for the photo! 










....And I was on TV!  The local news did a story on the event, and I was in their video footage!   Read the story and see the video here! (I tried and tried but couldn't embed!)

After the march, I and my friends made our way to La Casa de La Raza and joined a meeting of the Santa Barbara Progressive Coalition, a group that has been reborn out of the resistance.  It was a wonderful turnout!  





There were over 200 people in attendance, a standing-room-only packed room. Again I felt energized and inspired being among like-minded people. The large group divided into 10 sub-groups to discuss action plans on several important issues, such as women's health issues, immigrant issues, sustainability, healthcare. Though I wanted to divide myself into 10 people, I took part in the Healthcare group. We talked about action plans to help preserve the Affordable Care Act, as well as actions to support the single-payor heathcare bill that State Sen. Ricardo Lara, (D-Bell Gardens) introduced to the California legislature on Friday.

One action that I will undertake, and you can, too: call and send postcards to the White House and to Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price and ask that the Affordable Care Act be preserved.


 
Contact Information for Tom Price:
HHS Office of the Secretary
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20201


E-mail Address:
Secretary@HHS.gov

PHONE NUMBERS:
202-690-7000
Toll Free Call Center: 1-877-696-6775

And of course, Contact Information for SCROTUS:

The Whitewash House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

PHONE NUMBERS:
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414

Other action items:
Learn and get involved with Heaclthcare for All-California: healthcareforall.org
or Physicians for a National Health Program.

Continue, also, to contact your own Members of Congress and encourage them to preserve the ACA. 

Two films that were mentioned as good views
Where to Invade Next by Michael Moore and
Fix It - Healthcare at the Tipping Point.  You can watch the film here:





I will report back on actions we can undertake on this issue and others. 

Whew!  I heard there are paid protesters taking part in these rallies and marches.  Aw, heck!  I am still waiting for my paycheck! 

Despite that, I will continue to resist. And I will persist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment