Wednesday, August 16, 2017

"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil"

"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil." -- Elie Wiesel

I'm still reeling and trying to wrap my head around the recent events in our Nation's History and where they will lead us. I woke up this morning wondering what outrage we will face next. It seems like we at the nadir, but I've thought that many times before throughout the last six months, and we always seem to manage to sink a little deeper.  We're stuck in quicksand, a deep chasm to hell, and we are being led by a Faustus of our own making, deeper and deeper through the hole.

A story.

Currently on my caseload, I am working with a Holocaust survivor. He has survived -- and thrived -- through many challenges. This gentleman is now at the twilight of his life. He has dementia, and on top of that, he survived a stroke. He's tough as nails. He is often confused, sometimes combative with his caregivers, but he always has been pleasant with me. After the war, he fled to the United States. He became a successful businessman and lived the American Dream. He contributed to our country in immeasurable ways.

Sometimes he lives in the past. Last week -- before Charlottesville -- he was confabulating about the war.  "What are you doing in the war?" he asked me, with a tear in his eye and a break in his voice.

I gently tried to bring him back to reality. "I wasn't born yet when the war happened. It was a long time ago. But my father fought in the war. He was a ball-turret gunner in a B-17 flying missions out of England."

He could barely hold in his emotion as he tearily said, "I hope he killed the Germans."

"Yes, he bombed Germany a lot."

"Good.....good," he said. "I'm glad he killed the Germans."

We were able to get along with our session.

Yesterday, I visited with him again and he brought up the war again. I quickly re-directed him, because if I hadn't been able to do that, I would've broken down myself.

"The war was a long time ago. Now we have some new challenges. Let's get to work."

It absolutely breaks my heart that this man, whose friends and family suffered the unspeakable and paid the ultimate price at the hands of Hate, who fled to the United States and made a good life helping others and conttirbuted to our Democracy and was a successful businessman, lives in a country where rampant hate still lives. And this hate is being given life by the toad (I cannot call him a man) who occupies the White House.

I think about my own father -- what would he think? -- and others in the Greatest Generation, who fought against fascism. We fought that war. The right side won!  Didn't it?

It makes me sick to my stomach.

It makes me question reality.

It makes me question the collective sanity of our country.

It makes me question my sanity. When I wake up, is it actually a nightmare that I am entering?

I at once become paralyzed and ready to act. And then paralyzed again.

And here I sit, paralyzed.  I have no more words.  Except to say, we can not remain indfferent.







*

Because I use this blog to record the events of these days, here is what we are waking up to in today's nightmare:




New York Times full transcript



5 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen. That's good stuff.
    - Adam T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always appreciate your writing. Although your patient is having some flashbacks that are somewhat disturbing, I wonder if you could engage him on the possibility that not all Germans were Nazis.
    The same holds for Italians and Japanese. While many good people did nothing, there were also many ordinary people whose lives were ruined who did not support the regimes at that time.
    Our propaganda machine did not distinguish between ordinary citizens and the ruling party. For combat veterans, I can see how their perspectives are skewed.
    When we go to our next War, which may be unfortunately soon, I hope the world does not condemn our citizenry, only those who propagate and profit from war.
    Venezuela, DPRK, Syria. No more war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feelings reflect mine, Karen. I just wrote someone before reading your post how I haven't stopped thinking of our president's response to Charlottesville. I feel a call to action but feel helpless against that 67% of misguided Americans. How can they continue to support him?! I imagine your client asked himself the same the question of the masses that blindly supported the Führer. It's scary. A darkness has descended upon us and we must fight back somehow, but I'm stupefied and disheartened to the point of inaction. I'm proud of you for overcoming your paralysis and getting out there to stand up for what you believe! I dream of impeachment or resignation and the awakening of the human race.

    I'm waiting to hear back when it's morning in Barcelona to know if my friend who lives near the Ramblas is safe. Ambassadors of darkness, worse villains of comic books have materialized. May love prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Above comment from Ana Pérez.

    ReplyDelete